Wednesday, March 01, 2006

After recovering from an awesome week of skiing in Bigsky I sit along with my fellow students on the eve of the section hockey championship. A win tomorrow unlocks the door to a weekend at the state tournament. A loss, well a loss would be horrible. Our team has had a truly remarkable season, surpassing the expectations of even the players. One loss to a team we won't face again and a tie with another team we may face in the future.
But Bigsky Montana. My parents and friend Max accompanied to the massive resort and ski area. There is nothing small or subtle about the place, from the lodges gigantic frame work and unnaturally huge sculptures inside to the astoudning acreage of skiing possibilities. While it doesn't have the longest runs in the country the possibillities of places to ski is incredible. What is often a damned shame is when all the possibilities are skied out and all that remains is a field of deep rutted moguls. When we arrived that was the word and Max and I were concerned. Our worried glances were swept clean by snow falling. It would continue to fall all throughout the week. Each morning we were awakened by the ski patrol blasting the upper reaches of the mountain. We skied so much powder and so many unskied lines that I don't have the energy to explain all the runs.
Perhaps the only drawback that accompanied the snow was strong winds causing one such white out so severe at the peak of the mountain I couldn't see past the tips of my skis. That kind of blindness in that envirnonment is far from fun. But the wind did blow alot of snow onto the proposed face we were about to ski and made for a bomber decent. Another great thrill came from a double black shoot, untracked till I pointed my two boards down and sunk fat turns into the snow. I narrowly avoided a tree and toppled over, but the sun was shining and my music kept on playin' so it was all good. That was one of the few sunny days. For the most part overcast skies blanketed us from a warm sun and we sought shelter in the trees. A few patches offered great lines and a real chill environment to cruise through.
On our last day we all ventured to Moonlight Basin, a small resort ajacent to Bigsky where the snow was deeper and fresher. Max and I lunched under a large pine and after taking off my skis I promptly sunk up to my waist. In my condition getting back into my bindings was a troublesome task but the whole day was so awesome that small event is easily overlooked. Skiing is so damn fun. But now I get to watch hockey, almost as fun as skiing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home